Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, United States of America
Frank C. Erwin Jr. Center or Frank Erwin Center or University of Texas (UT) Erwin Center in Austin, Texas is a multipurpose arena famous for its round, drum-like external appearance. As such, it is sometimes called “The Superdrum”. Inaugurated in 1977, it is the home of the men’s and women’s basketball programs of the UT. It was named after Frank Erwin, a former member of the UT Board of Regents.
There are several fun things to do in the area, such as visiting Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art (BMA) or Blanton. With a permanent collection of about 18,000 artifacts, it is one of the biggest university art museums in the country. These include contemporary and modern art, Ellsworth Kelly’s Austin, European art before 1900, Latin American art, The Julia Matthews Wilkinson Center for Prints and Drawings, and Western American art. Tourists should also visit the Governor’s Mansion. Established in 1854, it has been the residence of every governor since 1856. Another interesting site to visit in the area is Mayfield Park. Originally constructed in the 1870's, it was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. One of the finest hotels nearby is the Doubletree by Hilton Austin-University Area, which has a pool, free WiFi and guests will be greeted with freshly baked cookies upon arrival. Another nearby hotel is the La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Austin Capitol/Downtown. The hotel is just 0.44 miles from the Frank Erwin Center.